In this, the final week of my FMP for Year 1, I really had to concentrate. Animation involves a lot of different processes and layers to my work. It’s my job to not forget which layers are what, where they are saved, what format they’re saved at, was FPS I am working at and pixel resolutions. Even after merging the layers of an image in photo shop, (say a character) I have to keep a clear mind on which layers in Premier I am placing the image in.
This is where nesting became essential to me. At you can see in this image, many of my scenes show up in the software as green. These are multiple layers of my character, their foreground, (eg. sparks from their welding) and their background.
In this image there are only two layers. The truck and the road. This scene was very difficult for me because I used premier’s scale and position effects to edit the foreground truck. This meant that the movement of the truck was far smoother than any of the hand drawn movements I usually used for foreground images. In hind-site I would have accomplished the look I wanted with Photoshop or after effects.
Here you can see my favourite scene. I think the result of this scene was most satisfying for me. It was quick and easy to produce because there is so little movement happening within the scene, but it also gives more depth to the animation because of the effect the light is having on the character and other parts of the room.
For this background I used a image reference. In places I raced the outlines of objects in Photoshop and I then lifted the colours to create the room. The original image was under florescent light, so I adapted the colours and created a more natural light.The light in the room now, makes me think of the smells in the space. I find it easy to imagine the spell of the welding and the dusty shed.
This scene with the candle I made in the same way, but adjusted the angles of sections of the images using the lasso tool in photoshop. I then exported the file as a .psd and imported into premier in a sequence.
The images below is an example of a section I drew entirely. I erased and re-painted the flame of the candle to create a flickering out effect.
The image below here, is the movement of my characters (draw in frames) over a painting done by my grandfather. Had I had more time to complete my FMP I would have liked to have included more of his paintings. I think that they portray the right mood for me piece; or perhaps I visualised my animation with them and adapted to them in my minds eye.
This image from my editing process shows the audio filed not long after I first imported them. These files were a collection of music which I wrote and played on the electric organ. Of coarse the organ was played as a piano, but is in my opinion better than my piano for two reasons. The first reason, it is never out of tune. The second reason, it is at the back of my parent’s house, where as the piano is at the front. Lovely though a real piano would have been, the sound of traffic driving past wouldn’t have been worth the it.
The piece of music was mostly improvised, again something I would like to have put more time into. I recorded using a standard vocal mic and a zoom. The piano would also have produced an unequal sound level, where the mic was closest to the piano those strings would be heard louder. For example if the mic was on the floor on the right hand side of the piano, you would barely have heard the bass notes over the highest. This link is to a google folder which includes a lot of the other music which I recorded: